The entry period for the 2020 is now closed. Entries must have been received by June 1, 2020.
For Information Only:
Instructions for preparing your entries for submission can be found here: Sonnet Submission Instructions.
Cash prizes, totaling up to $2,000, will be awarded in several categories, including:
- Top Three Sonnets
- Regional (Three Winners – Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa)
- Best Youth (Three Winners – High School and Younger)
- Laureate’s Choice (Fifteen Winners)
Rules and Guidelines
- Sonnets may be written in Shakespearean, Spenserian, Petrarchan or Non-Traditional rhyme schemes, but each must be in the fourteen line, iambic pentameter form. (Read more about Sonnet Forms here: What is a Sonnet?) Only previously unpublished sonnets are eligible.
- There is a $5 ENTRY FEE for up to three sonnets per entrant. There is NO FEE for entrants in the Youth category (high school and younger) or for undergraduate college students. Sonnets must be received by June 1st to compete in this year’s contest.
- The $5 entry fee may be submitted through PayPal or by US or International Post.
- No entrant may be awarded more than one prize.
- Sonnets should be submitted using our File Upload Form. Complete directions will be provided in your Entry Confirmation Email. If using the upload system presents a hardship, please email email@example.com for instructions.
- Each sonnet should be submitted as a separate file. Include your entry number and sonnet number at the top of the page. Then place the title, or the first line if it is your title, then skip two lines and add all fourteen lines of your sonnet, double spacing each line. Submissions will not be returned. Do not include your name on the sonnets.
The author retains all copyrights to the submitted sonnet. Winning sonnets will appear on this website with the copyright notice intact and may be published in a forthcoming anthology. By entering the contest, the author consents to the publication of a sonnet selected as a winning entry.